Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Gluten Gremlins

   What? Is that even real? Did you make that up? As a matter of fact it is and I most certainly did. I prefer to use fun names instead of boring scary ones like "contamination". These pesky little gluten gremlins can be lurking in all kinds of inconspicuous places. Does your family enjoy toast and sandwiches with peanut butter or mayonnaise? That's a prime suspect! You spread it across regular bread and double dip! Dropping crumbs for the unsuspecting Celiac to ingest! Another common place for gluten gremlins to take  refuge is on a salad. Example some name brand ranch dressings are gluten free. But some restaurant's make their own ranch, and they use a thickening agent made out of wheat. Or say you order a salad hold the croutons. Order comes out and guess what? Yep, they forgot. You of course send it back and don't mention why you ordered it that way to begin with. They just pick it off because you'll never know right? WRONG! You're sick that night and have no idea why. Well now you do. Are gluten gremlins sounding more real now? I hope so.
    After you start your gluten free diet you will soon realize just how bad your reaction is or isn't. Some people, like myself cannot handle trace amounts. So it's important to take the necessary steps to prevent it. Don't worry though I have a few pointers to help you out. Most important when shopping is double check labels. Something may not contain any gluten but may have been processed with it. Sometimes name brands are completely safe but store brands are not. Food isn't the only source of gluten either. Check your beauty supplies and your medicines. I have begun emailing companies to see which ones are Celiac friendly. Once I get my list together I will share my discoveries.
    Hopefully everyone is feeling good after going off gluten and my blog is helping make this easier. I've tried very hard to simplify this as much as possible. If you have any questions feel free to ask! I would love to hear from you! You can also sign up to follow my blog. Until next time!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment